Friday, May 09, 2008

Bedrest Blog #1

(Mr. M here, I will be posting on the Mrs.' behalf for a while. She is writing her posts the old-fashioned way and I am transcribing them here onto the internets. Please enjoy and keep her, Harper, and Lily all in your prayers. --Thanks NM)

May 9, 2008
This is my 3rd in the hospital. I have been diagnosed with PIH & mild Preeclampsia. Many of you know about the swelling I have been complaining about. Also, a couple of times I mentioned "tightening" in the uterus or lots of baby rolling. Well it turns out that my BP has been a little too high, the swelling is due to too much activity that my body carrying twins doesn't want to deal with, and the tightening are contractions-sometimes steady and patterned and sometimes sporadic. I have not gotten out of bed except to use the bathroom for 4 days and the swelling and BP have decreased /improved dramatically! The amounts of protein in my urine is still high and doctors will collect another 24 hours of samples beginning Monday. The first 24 hour sample was collected upon my entry to the hospital on Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. 0-168 units of protein in the urine is 'normal'- my outcome was 354. Doctor said this was high but not call for emergency delivery-just the highest level of bedrest until the end of term. About that: on Saturday I will be 27 weeks. Doctor says developmentally for the babies he would be "satisfied" to deliver at 32 weeks and "thrilled" at 34 weeks.

Specifically pray right now that:
1) God would heal the PIH & Preeclampsia completely
2) Protein levels in my urine would decrease and/or maintain at levels non-toxic to me or the babies.
3) That my body will stay healthy enough to carry the babies the longest possible term-34 weeks would be "thrilling"

This morning the nurse gave me 1 of 2 steroid shots that will help prepare the babies lungs for whenever they get here. This drug has been solidly used for 10 years and, according to the neonatal doctor, is a miracle drug. In essence, this shot will lubricate the lungs and strengthen them so that in case they come early the chances of breathing trauma are far less, especially the more days we gain in utero.

Medically that about covers it.

I feel good. I'm actually not bored at all. I enjoy the lights being off and most of the time the TV is off. My routine has been wake up and give blood at 4:30 a.m. Doze until I see the doctor at 7:00 a.m. Breakfast at 8:00 a.m., TV morning shows until about 9:00. Turn off TV and lights, pray, be still. About 10:00 people start calling and I am updating/visiting until lunch. After lunch lights off and rest again. I have journaled today from 1:00-2:00. Nurses check my BP and the babies heartbeats every 4 hours. Dr. Phil 3:00-4:00, Oprah 4:00-5:00 Dinner at 5:00 and shower at 6:00. TV and visiting with Nick from dinner until 10:00 then I get a sleeping pill and get ready to start the next day.

You guys read Matthew 6:25-34 and 7:7-12. These are the scriptures that I am clinging to and reading daily. You would not believe the peace I have about this. I'll update as I am able. Nick is my rock. Lily & Harper are beautiful.

3 comments:

MI class 2007 said...

I'm praying for you all!! Glad Nick is helping to keep us updated!!!!

Laurel said...

So sorry you're having to go through this...but I've got no doubt you'll hang in there until the "thrilling" 34th week! You, Nick & the girls and in my prayers!

I'd admire your positivity...keep smiling and thanks for the update!
Love you!

Mary Tyler S. said...

I think Dr. Phil is crazy ;) I'm so proud of you.