Sunday, July 30, 2006
One thing I admire and slightly envy is the list of "smart people" books that I read about on other people's blogs. Maughry being the main one that does this. Bean you said you were reading some book that I have never heard of. The truth is I really do want to be a reader. I have thought up ways to become a good reader: 1.) pick a book I am interested in and 2.) read it. But that plan does not ever work. So now I am going to use a new strategy: 1.) pick a book someone else is interested in 2.) commit 30 minutes a day to reading it.
The last book that I read in ful was:
(Do not be alarmed: I read this book WAAY before Summer 2005 which is when I met Mr. M.)
I loved this book. The reason I loved this book is because I had been on so many terrible "going nowhere" dates that left me running to my cell phone every time the phone rang hoping it was "that guy" - but it usually was my mom calling to ask if he had called. Yuck - so glad I am not out there anymore. Today I would say that no-one should take this book TOO seriously because if you don't have common sense that screams at you "He just isn't into me because he isn't calling me, he isn't dating me, he is having sex with someone else etc." then maybe you just need an ego boost and some self respect. However, Greg Behrendt, one of the authors of this book, also co-wrote one of my favorite HBO television series: Sex and the City.
(Some of you may be rolling your eyes, but I know for a FACT there are some of my readers who know that "Sex and the City" is FABULOUS!
Back to my original topic, while books like "He's Just Not That Into You" are entertaining, I feel that at this point in my life : 24.5 years old, married, working, schooling, etc. this book choice is unsuitable.
So my question is: Where do I begin to choose a grown-up book?
1.) I would like to learn about Christianity from a way less "Ten Steps to Being a Better Christian Woman" point-of-view
2.) I would like to learn more about current events/cultural issues.
3.) I do not like books that are 600 pages (yet) 200-300 pages gets me excited about reading.
WAIT...I did all this blogging about the fabulousness of Greg Behrendt and I just remembered that since I have been married to Mr. M I have read:...AND LOVED LOVED LOVED THIS BOOK...
Granted, I read this book about ten years after everyone else but none the less, I can say it was easy for me to follow, exciting to read, and made an impact on my spiritual growth.
So, I am looking for a list of suggestions from anyone with the knowledge that I loved "Blue Like Jazz" who would like to recommend some starter grown-up books. P.S. the books you recommend do not have to be classified "Christian/Spirituality".
Just throw a few favs. out there for me.
Saturday, July 29, 2006
1. Clean our apartment and light candles in the every room so home smells good and feels cozy, change the sheets, Febreeze all the furniture.
2. Go on a walk.
3. Watch a good movie or read a good book.
4. Cook a meal tonight that Nick and I can't afford while listening to Charter Cable "Blues" radio and drink red wine.
5. Take a bubble bath.
There it is...my perfect Saturday ...oh and it is overcast with a chance of rain...PERFECT.
That sounds like a good Saturday at home to me
And I leave you with this question:
How much do I LOVE this doggy in the window?
Friday, July 28, 2006
1. FIRST NAME? Laura
2. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? YES! Laura- after my grandmother and Elizabeth after my great grandmother
3. WHEN DID YOU LAST CRY? Sunday morning...I was PMSing, tired, and in a STUPID skirmish with my best (girl) friend.
4. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? Yes I do.
5. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCHMEAT? Cracked Pepper Turkey with LOADS of mayo on wheat!
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? I have asked myself that before and honestly, I probably wouldn't . I have always thought it and I and almost positive because my closest friends are nothing like me. I have very strong tendancies and the people who love me the most give me balance.
7. DO YOU HAVE A JOURNAL? No
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? No
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? Kellogg's Frosted Mini Wheats
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? Yes, I do
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? Physically and emotionally - getting there.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR? Anything "coffee" or "chocolate chip cookie dough"
14. SHOE SIZE? 8.5 - 9
15. RED OR PINK? Red
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF? My temper
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST? my sister Mer and my girlfriend Lauren
18. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU? Sure why not
19. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? olive green shorts and a white "wife beater"
20. LAST THING YOU ATE? Hmm, a strawberry pop tart- I was babysitting :)
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? Tuesday nights episode of "Last Comic Standing"
22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? for some reason, turquoise just popped in my head so I will say turquoise.
23. FAVORITE SMELL? Nick (hehe..sorry Bean)
24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? Lauren
25. THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE YOU ARE ATTRACTED TO? The difference in whether or not they are Cocky/Arrogantor Cool/Confident.
26. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? Yes :) but I hope that I will know her better in the future
27. FAVORITE DRINK? flavored water or diet coke
28. FAVORITE SPORT? Volleyball, of course!
29. EYE COLOR? Green
30. HAT SIZE? Not a clue.
31. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? No I don't.
32. FAVORITE FOOD? Mexican Cheese Dip, salsa, and chips!
33. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDING? Happy Endings
34. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING? White wife beater
35. SUMMER OR WINTER? Winter for sure but Fall is best out of the seasons - I agree Bean
36. HUGS OR KISSES? I should say kisses because I don't like to hug people I don't know well...it's a personal space thing.
37. FAVORITE DESSERT? CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH BLIZZARD FROM Dairy Queen.
38. WHO IS MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND: Nick?
39. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND: Brian Gates (of all the bloggers)
40. WHAT BOOKS ARE YOU READING? books for school: Mathematical Reasonal and General Nutrition.
41.WHATS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD? No mouse pad. Just a wooden desk.
42. WHAT DID YOU WATCH LAST NIGHT ON TV? Thursday night? nothing
43. FAVORITE SOUNDS? Rain, Jet Skis, "I love you" & "How bout Mexican?"
44. ROLLING STONE OR BEATLES? Beatles
45. THE FURTHEST YOU'VE BEEN FROM HOME? Greece/Italy trip in highschool
46. WHAT'S YOUR SPECIAL TALENT? All my friends say that I am funny but I disagree, I'm hilarious.
47. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? Baptist Hospital, Montgomery, Al.
48. WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? My sister in law