Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Office

(It is December third!?  I am so glad it actually FEELS like winter!  Thanksgiving Day was a typical November day in Alabama - warm and sunny but the mornings of December have all been white, crisp, and cold.  I will enjoy bundling up before work over the next 3 or 4 months but by April I am usually tired of bundling and ready for Spring... I, like most people think that Alabama isn't such a bad climate to live in because we actually get to experience changes in seasons.)

Work is still going really well.  I have a larger caseload at my base school this year which keeps me mostly in that building and comfortable - as opposed to being a junior high setting and pushing my way through the halls in between classes.  At my elementary school I have my own office/therapy room with a computer, a phone, a microwave and fridge, and Christmas music.  One thing that really adds to the enjoyment of working in an elementary setting is doing crafts with my kids.  Nothing fancy, just construction paper, dull scissors, and a glue stick.  I must be doing something right because non speech impaired kids ask me all day can they come to my room!?

My friend Sully that retired last May is living it up at home and it is different at work without her but I have gotten closer with a few other gals.  One is the music teacher and it has been really rewarding to pop into her room during Christmas Program practice.  After the kids practice their lines and caroling we play a word game - something educational - like a spelling bee or "Around the World."  It gives me a chance to get out of my little room and be among lots of kids at once.  

Being at work has been good for my health also - I have already bragged about this to a couple of folks but my news is blog worthy I think.  Since starting back to work 4 weeks ago I have lost 10 pounds!  Drinking lots of water, not snacking and replacing one meal a day with a salad, and walking the halls from 3-3:30 before I am dismissed have all been the key.  I still have a long way to go and have not gone down any sizes but can notice a few subtle changes in the way my clothes fit and certainly in my self esteem.

The truck is finished warming up now so I need to scoot on down the road.  Have a happy hump day everyone!

2 comments:

jackie said...

I am soooo happy to hear that the return to work is going so well. I can't wait until we can have lunch together one day. How grown up of us! ;)

The Bean said...

Congrats on the 10lbs lost! I have about 30lbs to lose now that I am back into workout mode again. It's so nice to be able to work out without that massive belly getting in my way. :)