Tuesday, June 02, 2009

new book breeds new desires

... because it is what you should do when you have a little quiet time in the mornings when babies are sleeping.

While I am still in the middle of one novel, I have started another book this morning by Donald Miller. It is called "prayer and the art of volkswagen maintenance." The title is not capitalized on the cover of the book so I am not capitalizing here either... also, I wanted to underline the title but haven't figured out how to do that. I wanted to share one neat little passage from page 10 that I liked and that I wish I had known about yesterday when I posted about it being the arrival of summer vacation for me. It goes,

"After that we have no plans except to arrive in Oregon before we run out of money. We share a sense of excitement and freedom. Not a rebel freedom, rather, a deadline-free sort of peace. There is no where we have to be tomorrow. There is no particular road we have committed to take...

Clearly, this book is about two guys on a cross country road trip with no jobs and no kids... who does that? I am not considering quitting my job or giving up my kids but experiencing that "deadline-free peace" with them, YES. It may just be a trip to the Farmer's market with them or strolling to the water's edge of the pond at Shakespeare but this summer I want to feel and do things that awaken my inner child and feed my soul. The babies' are too young to finger paint or help me cook... all of that will come in time... but until then I can enjoy the fact that they are just "along for the ride" and be the most awesome tour guide mommy ever... they just woke up from their naps... I think I will take them to the pond... why not?

4 comments:

Laura said...

good for you jur. lead on and enjoy!

Laurel said...

I'm getting the feeling that this is gonna be a good blogging summer for you and I am SO ready for the ride! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on exploring, strolling and discovering!

Happy Summer to you!

Heather said...

That book has been republished under a new title: Through Painted Deserts. I have a well-highlighted copy of my own. Enjoy the lovely reading time. I started, today, Velva Jean Learns to Drive and am almost through Anne Lamott's writing book, Bird by Bird.

Jason said...

I want to borrow that book when you are done ..