Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Enrichment

Books, movies, and church.  These are three activities that are giving my life true enrichment right now.

Nick would always laugh at me and tell people how different we are in that if I am tired at 8p.m. and am done with "house stuff" or other busy stuff I'll just go to bed because to me, the day is over.  But Nick likes to stay up and read, watch t.v., play a game, etc.  I have always been a sleeper when I am bored or have the blues so it was easy to just "check out" and wait till the start of a new day when I could get busy again.

Now, sun up and sun down are my favorite times of the day because they are the only quiet times I can have alone or with Nick to enjoy reading a good book, such as "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen.  I love this book.  It is about a vet school drop out who runs off with a circus during the time of the Depression.  Coming of age, love, scandal, this book has it all if you are like me and like fluffy page turner fiction with small chapters.  Two of my girl friends are reading the book also and we are scheduled to meet in the middle of the month and at the end of the month to discuss.   Let me know if you want to join in on the book club or if you have any book club suggestions!

Our "movie night" last Thursday featured "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner."  I fell asleep during the most crucial part of the movie towards the end but felt I had seen enough to say that I enjoyed it and would like to watch it again.  Well low and behold the very next day I had just finished feeding the babies at 5a.m. and saw that Oxygen was showing the movie at 7 so I set my DVR and got curled up with a cup of coffee and watched it again from start to finish.  This time I didn't miss the scene where "Dr. Prentice" talks with his Dad and "Mr. Drayton" tells his dinner guests what's on his mind.  OH I don't have words for how much I love this movie.  This one could be up there with "To Kill a Mockingbird" for me.  I cried and cried over the outcome of this movie classic and would recommend it to anyone.  I am looking forward to Thursday night when we watch another Top 100 AFI movie.

And tonight I will go to church for the second week in a row.  Short service in the chapel at FUMC followed by dinner in the fellowship hall.  Organized worship and fellowship have not always been something I have made a priority to participate in and quite frankly are not events that I have necessarily enjoyed... for lack of better words.  I enjoy small groups open for discussion and usually I can't sing very well, although it is all a joyful noise to Him.  However, last week was exceptionally enjoyable because I didn't go alone and I didn't even go with Nick (he was home with the babies).  I went with two good gal friends who both have a thirst to know God more and the plans for their lives, like me.  It was rejuvenating to go and experience "fullness" with them and I hope that Wednesday night chapel will become a tradition.

After I feed the babies at 9a.m. we are going to Target to get a couple of things needed around the house.  My goal is to find diapers, coffee creamer, and an exercise DVD all in one store and to not spend over our gift card amount.


4 comments:

Nick M. said...

You go on with your bad self!!

Jason said...

I will say it ....YOU ARE GREAT !

Laurel said...

I read WFE last summer and still think about it! Awesome book...I became so intrigued with the whole circus perspective.

just a warning: her other books (which are significantly older) aren't good at all :( after WFE I swept up all her stuff, couldn't get enough...but was disappointed.

Mary Tyler S. said...

get it.