Thursday, March 05, 2009

Does Anybody Remember Jack Handey?

So one of my favorite features on "old school SNL" was Deep Thoughts and Fuzzy Memories by Jack Handey.  I had to google a few and share them with you.
“If you saw two guys named Hambone and Flippy, which one would you think liked dolphins most? I'd say Flippy, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong though. It's Hambone." Deep Thoughts (Saturday Night Live)” 

“I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.” Deep Thoughts (Saturday Night Live)” 

“Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights,even if you don't know what your rights are, or who the person is you're talking to. Then on the way out, slam the door. - Deep Thoughts (Saturday Night Live)” 

“If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you.” Deep Thoughts (Saturday Night Live)” 

"Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk." Deep Thoughts (Saturday Night Live)
And so today, I was driving to LM's house to pick up the babies and I had to drive through a school zone.  It was past 4:30p.m. - pickup lines had died down but I was in standstill traffic... 15, 20 cars long wondering what the heck is the hold up.  As I inched forward I started to notice people parking on the side of the road and getting out of their cars with concerned smiles on their faces.  Finally I saw the hold up.  I yellow mutt with no collar scared out of it's wits, cowarding in the middle of the street... clearly lost, clearly confused, but clearly loved by everyone in traffic.  I had my very own "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey" moment where I pondered, "Amazing how a lost dog can cause the world to stop turning in 5 o'clock traffic but I get the middle finger for going the speed limit on my way to work in the mornings."

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I loved Deep Thoughts. LOVED them.

My word verification is dudizin. It's a dizzy dude, maybe. Or the process of becoming one.

Catie Murphy said...

Laura, whew! What a couple of weeks it has been! We have been sick up (and snowy) here as well and I am so thankful, so thankful that my girl, your girls, are all better. Whew!
Hope all is well this week.