Wednesday, September 02, 2009

35 minutes

Today marks a full week (and a day) of getting up earlier to go walking at the gym before work. I get to the gym at 5:15 a.m. and walk on the treadmill for 35 minutes. It may not sound like a lot but going from a pretty sedentary lifestyle (exercising maybe once a week, sad I know) over the past 3 years to going to a gym 5 days a week is HUGE. The thing is, the first two years of our marriage, we threw money at another gym every month and honestly? Money WASTED. We never went and by never I mean once every 2 or 3 months because "we really should." This time, when we joined - contract free- and with so many other amenities such as pool, aerobics classes, tennis, yoga, childcare, and access to the many other in town locations we knew we really couldn't lose. My gym is a 9 minute walk from my house and about a 2 minute drive. I'll admit that I didn't use the facility as much as I should have this summer but as I have mentioned before when not on a "routine" I go all out and do nothing. Being back in the swing of work and being inspired by JMG and his weightloss endeavors I have a realization last week... I am not getting any younger, I am not as happy with my shape as I could be, and if I don't get moving now my body may never gain the health benefits I will need in my later years. 35 minutes in the early morning is a small sacrifice for the positive changes I hope to see soon and over the years. It is funny, the first night I set my alarm with the intentions to get up and exercise I was giddy. At 4:45 a.m. my eyes POPPED open and ever since then I have even tried to convince myself to snooze but the truth is... I don't want to. I really really enjoy going. I see the same faces. I use the same machine. I listen to the news on CNN. I stretch and work out the kinks in my neck and shoulders that have been causing these "cricks" in my neck that I used to never have when I was more active...granted I believe they are caused by the constant lifting I do having twins 18 pound pounds each now... so that and inactivity puts a lot of strain on my neck, shoulders, and back. I hope to incorporate some weight lifting at night in the coming weeks. I have some good friends at work that are also getting up and getting moving and we are weighing in every Monday and keeping track of pounds gained and lost.

I feel like talking about exercise and weight loss among women is kind of "tacky" like talking about money can be tacky sometimes. Women have an innate bashfulness when it comes to patting themselves on the back because we don't want to come across as braggy or over confident. I really just wanted to share this because this is a really positive thing happening in my life right now and to say that if you are close by and need a morning walking partner then I would love for you to join me!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that this is great, not tacky at all! Thanks for sharing. I've realized that I know exactly what I need to do to get in shape, but that I am so much more willing to do it when I have a "gym buddy." A routine helps too. Good luck to you and keep up the good work! (also, 4:45am makes me want to gag)

Laura said...

WAY TO GO JUR! i know a morning habit is so much easier said than done! Congrats on making it happen!

Laura said...

Good for you!!!! I have been getting up and walking/running in my neighborhood every four days a week. I don't love it while I'm doing it, but I do love the feeling of accomplishment when I am done. Keep up the good work, and hope you see the results you are looking for soon!! :-)

Meredith Ramer said...

Hi, I came across your blog while searching through any that had mentioned me on their blogs about the recent tragedy that has struck my family. I ask that you please read my blog and get a better understanding of what has happened. It is amazing how fast things move through word of mouth and how much they change from what really happened. Thank you for mentioning my story and thinking of my family at such a tragic time. I just wanted you to know what really happened. May God bless you.

Catie Murphy said...

Go girl! You can do it! Rock that gym!